When I say discovered, I mean of course, I found out some stuff I didn’t know before… Not that I discovered there was a giant stretch of land that no one knew about before (except maybe the natives but I am going to disregard them because they can’t read) and claimed it for my Queen and Country. (But only because Magellan and Columbus beat me to it)
I’m sure that whatever I am going to list, there’s a bazillion people going: “Dude, I knew that. Totally.” (I write all of my friends imaginary dialogue like they are really stupid.:) But here’s some things I ‘discovered.’ For your convenience, I dissected them into 2 different parts. The Good and The Bad. I was going to add, the Ugly… But I think we all know what I would list under that, so no point in bringing it up.
- Smarties Chocolate Chip Cookies. Seriously. I haven’t eaten it… But come on, that must be the best thing ever. Except for maybe Oreo Cake.
- Frulli Strawberry Beer. The only thing I dislike about beer is that it tastes like crap. Now it tastes like Strawberries. What’s not to like.
- No Subtitled Movies (at least not the ones I watch… Because let’s face it… I’m not exactly a connoisseur of the French Cinema.)
- People start drinking early and go to bed early. So instead of rolling out of a bar at 4AM in the morning, you’re in bed before midnight. It’s great!
- Eating out at 11PM… and by that I don’t mean the McDonalds. Actual dinner.
- Apple Cider is an acceptable drink. (Yay.)
- Great Food – In restaurants at least. I’m still not the best Chef in the World. But the restaurants here employ the best chefs in the world… so who cares.
- It’s not all that cold.
- People are mostly really friendly (more so than in the Netherlands at least)
- Tube – That thing is going places. Also, Oyster Card… it works.
- People have a great sense of personal Style (except Hipsters of course. Who are just faking it… and stupid)
There’s probably a lot more.. But this is all I can come up with now. Bad stuff is so much easier because… well, you know me. I am very well tuned to noticing flaws.
- Yoghurt tastes like crap (same goes for Peanut Butter)
- Apparently no one has ever heard of Sweatpants Sunday.
- There is not a person in this country who has decided which side of the road is for walking. I’m not kidding. It’s crazy. Pick a side people!
- Cinema’s are freaking expensive. And they’ve never heard of a subscription. It’s sad.
- Tube. It may take you places, but sometimes it just doesn’t. Also, it’s hot in there.
- I get lost all the time. Which is great, but sometimes it’s just annoying.
- These people do not understand what goes into making a good cappuccino.
That’s it?! I’m lost for words. It’s impossible that I can come up with more positives than negatives… but it appears to be so. Weird huh. Well, there used to be the mild inconvenience that I could not watch The Daily Show here… Which I could in the Netherlands. But thanks to online streaming, now I can. So, that’s gone.
Stamppot!! That’s something that ain’t here. Hmm. Stamppot.
I’m not even sure there is a word for it outside of Holland. According to Google translate… it’s Stew, but I’m not buying it.
But that’s all I find at fault with this country. They have no stamppot and terrible coffee. It might just be because it is a lot like home, without it being actually home… Either way I love it. So yea. Basically I discovered that I discovered that I have very little to complain about. Life is pretty good. People, including myself may be perpetually lost… but we’re having a good time. So it’s all good. Also, I’m buying those Smarties cookies tomorrow so that makes it even better.
FYI: if you’re wondering why there’s a picture of a Hamster smelling the flower, when it’s got nothing to do with the post. I’m well aware of that. But this post has little to do with this post. Also, it’s a really great picture… and I like it.
Just like this one.